Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The night before Halloween

Justin and I carved our 2012 pumpkins last night. It was kind of last minute, but something I'm glad that we did. It was our first "free" night in what seems like forever. This year's pumpkins weren't quite as elaborate as some of our past creations, but it's a fun little tradition to keep going. I did our new monogram and Justin did a traditional jack-o-lantern.




I toasted the pumpkin seeds and used a different technique this year. It was quite simple and super tasty. I modified it from something I saw online and the results were fab. Justin called them "savory".

Pumpkin seed recipe:

1.5 - 2 cups clean and dry pumpkin seeds
3 tbs brown sugar
olive oil cooking spray
dash of kosher salt
dash of pumpkin spice
dash of cinnamon

Toast the pumpkin seeds in a frying pan on medium heat for 7-10 minutes. Spray with olive oil cooking spray and stir in brown sugar until it caramelizes. Add in spices and stir. Cool completely before eating.


I also made s'more cookies for Justin to take to his coworkers for Halloween. They may be my new favorite cookie. Recipe found here.


And last, but certainly not least, here's our little fur baby showing off his Halloween costume to Grandma. He hates it. In fact, Halloween is Avery's least favorite day of the year. It doesn't help that he's dressed as a squirrel this year. He is in the middle of a six year war with the squirrels that live in our backyard. Justin sides with Avery. He said it would be like him forcing me to dress as *insert coworker I can't stand* for Halloween. Point well taken. Avery will still be wearing this tonight. The trick or treaters get the biggest kick out of seeing our cute little guy all decked out. He'll get over it. Happy Halloween blog friends!

No comments: