Monday, July 25, 2011

To everything there is a season...


To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under the sun. A time to be born and a time do die; time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted; a time to kill and a time to heal...a time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance... Ecclesiastes 3:1-4

I posted this on facebook Saturday. It's a verse that spoke to me that day and really all week. I struggled with the reality of two of my closest friends losing both of their parents within a span of six months. We were all together just last weekend, laughing, swimming and relaxing. How were we to know that exactly one week later we would be gathering again, only this time to mourn? It seems so unfair that my dear friends have to deal with such tragedy while still in their twenties. I can't imagine. It makes me nauseous just imagining it.

I do know that God is good. All day. Every day. Although it's difficult to understand why things happen, I believe He works for the good in all of us. Natalie sent us an email on Saturday night that spoke to the true love of their parents. I know it doesn't make the grieving process any easier for their family, but I imagine it does bring comfort to know that her parents are together again. Here's an excerpt from that email:

"I found an old shoe box full that was taped shut that said "Love Letters" on it.  Of course I brought it home with me and found a box full of tons of notes and letters mostly from my dad and a few from other suitors from back in early high school years. Anyways, the most beautiful thing, that I know was mentioned today at the service, was that my dad literally wrote love letters to my mom almost every night when he went to college at Tech and she was still a junior in high school until they were married.  I mean there are literally hundreds of letters all expressing his undying love for her and how he can't wait to marry her.  I read a lot of them the other night and it made me understand just how deep really was and it seemed almost cruel for God to keep them apart for the 6 months that He did.  That kind of love story doesn't come around very often and I feel so incredibly blessed to be a product of that love.  It's hard for the 3 of us to stomach that we weren't enough for her want to live for here on earth, but when I understood their love, I realized that she truly needed to be with him and couldn't live without him with her any longer."  

Please join me in praying for Natalie, Kristin, their brother Justin and their extended family.

1 comment:

Becca said...

So sweet. What a great testament of true love. I'm praying for Natalie and her family. It was good to talk to you the other day, Ash. I miss you my friend!