Friday, September 16, 2011

Misadventures in Cooking

I fancy myself a pretty good cook. Definitely a better baker, but I think I can cook pretty well too. I certainly disproved that last night. Justin was coming over for one of our rare weekday date nights. We aren't going to see each other much this weekend, so we decided to spend time together on Thursday. (I know I'm making you marrieds nauseous at this point ;) Anyhow, I have been dying to try Pioneer Woman's Fig Prosciutto Pizza with Arugula that she featured on her new show last weekend. I didn't really think it out clearly, as Justin's response was, "FIIIIGGG? Seriously? What does that even taste like? Oh, wait I guess I like Fig Newtons..." Thankfully this conversation happened earlier in the week so I had an opportunity to make an alternative meal (chicken parm pizza) for him.

I raced home last night to start on the pizzas. I'd already made the dough, so all I had to do was roll it out, top them with ingredients and throw them in the oven. I started on the fig pizza first. Once the dough is thinned out and placed on a cookie sheet, the recipe calls for you to drizzle olive oil on top of the dough. Easy enough. I grabbed the bottle of olive oil from the top shelf, slathered it on the pizza and proceeded with the rest of the ingredients. After I got that pizza in the oven I started on Justin's. As I reached for the olive oil I realized it, in fact, was sesame oil. UGH! The two bottles in my pantry are nearly identical and I had not even noticed that I grabbed the wrong one.

I wish I could say that the differences in the oils didn't matter, but oh did they. The fig pizza tasted like some sort of weird asian fusion dish, and not in a good way. Fortunately I made plenty of Justin's pizza, so I didn't go hungry. And I will definitely look twice when reaching for a bottle of olive oil next time. Lesson learned.


my failed fig prosciutto pizza :(

justin's chicken parm pizza. it was good.

No comments: