Friday, February 18, 2011

Shin Splints?

(image via fitnessinformation.net)

I. Am. Not. A. Runner. Nope. Definitely not. I have never been a fan. I think because a swim coach once told me that runners are not good swimmers and swimmers are not good runners, my once "good swimmer" self took it to heart. Probably so I could get out of running cross country with every other seventh grader. Fast forward a few (okay 15) years and I am attempting to become a fan. I began my Couch25K training program almost seven weeks ago and I'm actually doing it. I'm still not a fan, and I definitely turn an un-natural shade of purpley red when I'm finished, but I'm running. As my "runs" get longer and my race dates draw closer I discovered something else I'm not a fan of. Shin splints. I haven't been officially diagnosed or anything, but all you 2.5 readers know I'm also a hypochondriac with an affinity for diagnosing myself via WebMD. Or Wikipedia. This time I'm pretty sure I got it right. I think it's a combination of longer "runs" and my desperate need for new running shoes. Or, according to Wikipedia, it could be because, "shin splints are more common in women, a result of decreased physical fitness and smaller muscle size". Thanks for the ego boost Wikipedia. Urgh. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I had shin splints Wednesday. I'm going to get some new kicks tomorrow to help the situation. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: