Tuesday, August 7, 2012

FAQs

Like most brides, I get a lot of questions about our wedding. Daily. To save myself a little breath, here are a few answers to some of the questions I get asked most.

1. Why is your wedding in SALADO?!
I suppose the old junior high adage, "because we felt like it," isn't the most appropriate response here, although it's often what I feel like saying. Truth? We wanted to get out of town and Salado was a perfect fit for us. Don't get me wrong, we love DFW. I'm from Grapevine, Justin's from Fort Worth and we thought about getting married here. For a second anyway. We both wanted a small(er) wedding and didn't feel like that was possible up here. Also, I've always loved Salado, specifically the little white church we're getting married in. That's another story though.

2. From a couple of guests with kids: Why weren't our kids listed on the invitation?
In short, and hopefully without offending anyone, because they aren't invited. Sorry. Here's why. The church is small and it's one room. As in no hallway, no narthex, no place to take a fussy baby. And there's just not room for older kids. We love your kids, we really do, we just don't want to hear them at our wedding. Even my sweet 18 month old niece Micah won't be there.

3. What's the dress code?
Definitely dressy, but we want everyone to be comfortable. It's probably going to be 102 that day and we're aware of that. The groomsmen will be in linen suits and the bridesmaid dresses are knee-length. But it's still a wedding. Ties and jackets preferred for men. No jeans and definitely no shorts. Hopefully that goes without saying.

4. Is the church air-conditioned? YES!!! I get so frustrated with this question, which I hear all.of.the.time. Mom and I were just there last Saturday and it was actually cold inside, so no worries. We wouldn't get married in September in a church without air conditioning. Promise.

5. Are you going to see each other before the ceremony? Much to our sweet photographer's dismay, no. We both wanted that moment. And we're serving hors d'oeuvres for the guests who will be waiting afterwards. We promise to make it quick!

6. How many guests are you expecting? We're up to 155 and that doesn't include several people who haven't replied. (Side note: How hard is it to reply? Even if it's just via text or email?! Just let us know people. It's rude not to).

7. How are you going to make around160 guests squeeze into a church that seats 130? Math has never been my strong suit, so bear with me on the numbers. The church seats 130. We have 9 attendants each which equals 18 people that will be standing. Plus Justin and I, plus Matt equals 21. My three honorary attendants are reading, so they'll be on a seperate pew at the front and all of our soloists and musicians will be in chairs. We'll have roughly 30+ people either standing or in an individual chair, so we think it will work. (Another side note: We're not seating late arrivals. The wedding coordinator will send any late arrivals straight to the reception. I thought it would be too distracting to have the door opening and closing and people having to scoot in on the pews to make room. Isn't that the cardinal rule of going to a wedding? Be early)?

8. Where are you going on your honeymoon? ST.LUCIA! We're so excited too.

That's all I can think of for now. We are so ready. 25 days and counting...

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Haha - brutally honest answers! ;-)

mz said...

Thanks for the shout out, lol! No worries...sunset pictures will be just lovely. ;)

Aimee said...

I can't wait!! 25 days!!