Thursday, December 6, 2012

In sickness and in health


We had our first major bout of illness this week, and it was me. I started out with a touch of a sore throat on Monday, but didn't have any other symptoms. Tuesday was the same. I just assumed it was allergies. We had our tree lighting event Tuesday night for the city and about halfway through I started feeling really sick. By the time we got home I was shaking with the chills and my throat felt like it was closing in, making it very difficult to swallow. I went to the doctor first thing Wednesday morning and tested positive for strep. I didn't realize adults could get that. Apparently we can. The worst part (aside from having to quarantine myself from my new husband), was that I had lunch with a pregnant friend on Tuesday afternoon and was around my nieces later that night. I pray that no one catches what I have. I am much, much better today thanks to antibiotics, chicken noodle soup and some ice cream ;) I'd like to say the surprise two days off were amazing, but the majority of my time was spent in a lot of pain, with cold sweats and a tremendous headache. I would much rather have been at work. No joke. Also, not being able to kiss my husband has been torture. I spent the last couple of hours of my sick day disinfecting the house, so hopefully the germies are gone. I know this will not be the last time that either of us gets sick, but it's really not fun being a newlywed with strep throat. Thanking God today for antibiotics and the best partner who was not the slightest concerned about catching anything from his germy wife.

1 comment:

Bethe @ Texas Lovely said...

No worries about exposing me - I promise I'm not worried about it! I hope you feel better quickly - get lot's of rest! There's nothing worse than putting on a huge special event when you're deathly ill. Been there, done that, hope to not do it again.